View high resolution
Today I turn 22—another year to be happier, to be stronger, to practice kindness and be the best I can be. Here are 22 bits I’ve have come to learn and accept in my day-to-day existence:
01. The present moment is ever-changing. Use this to your advantage.
02. Your life is a reflection of your perception towards it—you’ll be amazed how delightful things will be with a positive attitude.
03. You will never, ever, ever have it all figured out. When you do, you might as well be dead.
04. Allow yourself to cry—endless, breathless, snotty, red-in-the-face sobs. This is a healing process. Feel your sadness. It really is okay.
05. Let go of those whose presence makes you feel worse off. Rid your life of that which weighs you down.
06. It’s always the perfect time to give yourself flowers. Treat yourself to your favorite meal. Drink a glass of wine. Dance to your favorite tunes, even if you dance oh so terribly.
07. Never compare yourself to others—it is true when they say we are all on different paths in this life journey. You are where you are supposed to be.
08. Be content with turning down a date. I repeat, you do not have to go out with that dude just because he is interested in you
09. “There are no stumbling blocks in life—just stepping stones in disguise.”
10. You, and only you, control how you feel.
11. Keep going. Don’t give up.
12. Negative feelings are poison for the mind and body.
13. It is imperative to have a curiosity about life.
14. You are more talented and kind and happy and beautiful than you think you are.
15. Take one day at a time. It is what it is.
16. Laugh a lot. Have sex because you wanna. Take a day off to do absolutely nothing.
17. Really, no really, do not pay attention to what others think.
18. You don’t need other people to make you happy.
19. When it comes down to it, just be nice to people. That’s all we need to do.
20. Sleep for 8 hours, work for 8 hours, play for 8 hours.
21. Do. What. You. Love.
22. Smile and whole world smiles with you.
It’s (was?) Paige’s 22nd birthday, and she’s a wonderful human being with kind and caring things to say, so even if you don’t wish her happy birthday I hope you read this list and that it brings you a moment of joy and inner peace as it did for me.
Happy birthday, m’dear!